Forum/Support Market
Busy icon
All new games purchased as a gift and placed in the purchaser's inventory will be untradable for 30 days. The gift may still be gifted at any time. The only change is to trading.

We've made this change to make trading gifts a better experience for those receiving the gifts. We're hoping this lowers the number of people who trade for a game only to have the game revoked later due to issues with the purchaser's payment method.

source: "http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tradingcards#announcements/detail/163582965920702191"

well, i have idea
what if i buying game, send it to my trade bot as a gift, then bot accept it and add game to inventory. then, someone, who wish to buy game, receive from my bot trade offer with payment method (keys, TF2 or Dota 2 items, another game etc). after complete this deal, bot will send to customer game as a gift too

this is real?
Replies

Sad to see the news.

I am discussing with Cara about how to 'continue' gift trading under this new rule, implementation of sending/receiving gifts looks like to be the only option. At the first glance of things we believe it is possible to make bots handling gifts, but I believe even the bot could accept it will be a pain for sellers to send a large amount of games as gifts with the Steam UI.

So, we will see what we can do and if things won't work out. I believe mass complaining to Valve should be a more viable option.

hey there, Joto

sending games to bot (a large amount i mean) its not ptoblem for me personally, because i have add-on for my browser
anyway, thank you, Joto, for reply!
i will be wait good news from you :D

I dont think this really kills trading, but this definately makes trading different. Most of gifts just will sit in traders inventory for month and only then go out. This basically means end of near-zero profit trades (also read: extremely cheap gifts) which pop up a lot during sales.

hey there, Joto

sending games to bot (a large amount i mean) its not ptoblem for me personally, because i have add-on for my browser
anyway, thank you, Joto, for reply!
i will be wait good news from you :D

What kind of plugin can handle gift sending?

thank you for your job Joto!

Sad to see the news.

I am discussing with Cara about how to 'continue' gift trading under this new rule, implementation of sending/receiving gifts looks like to be the only option. At the first glance of things we believe it is possible to make bots handling gifts, but I believe even the bot could accept it will be a pain for sellers to send a large amount of games as gifts with the Steam UI.

So, we will see what we can do and if things won't work out. I believe mass complaining to Valve should be a more viable option.

Unluckily for us, joto is right.
Due to steam limitations, it is impossible to send through email 2 or more copies of the SAME game to the SAME mail address.

For example, if i buy 5 copies of Company of Heroes, the first copy will arrive, whereas the other copies won't. You can test it yourself with your inventories.

Let's hope that Valve reverse this policies, at least by applying them to just new suspicious accounts, or something like that. Restricting the game reselling for everyone is just not fair.

Sad to see the news.

Due to steam limitations, it is impossible to send through email 2 or more copies of the SAME game to the SAME mail address.

For example, if i buy 5 copies of Company of Heroes, the first copy will arrive, whereas the other copies won't. You can test it yourself with your inventories.

Let's hope that Valve reverse this policies, at least by applying them to just new suspicious accounts, or something like that. Restricting the game reselling for everyone is just not fair.

What if we send it to our bot, it accepts the gift and stores it in the inventory, and only THEN we send the second gift?
It surely needs an automatition... and considering after 30 days these gifts become tradable it might won't worth the time and effort to trade them before.

Sad to see the news.

Thanks for the info. This is a pretty bad limitation if true. Is there a time limit which an account will be able to accept the same gift again?