Table of Contents

"No More Room in Hell" is a free to play Half Life 2 mod. It is a survival horror game that features a 8 player co-op multiplayer with a focus on semi-realism, inspired by the "Of The Dead" zombie franchise. The game only requires the TF2 engine (and TF2 is free) so it is a completely free to play game at the moment. Since the game has just entered public beta, there are still problems here and there and it is not so enjoyable at this stage.

Design

The game lacks the visual and sound cues that allow the players to sense the environment around them, so the game does not deliver the horror feeling it supposes to. The zombie also moves too slowly to give the player any pressure. Wandering around the maps is like walking in the park and there is not any hard battle that you must fight. This can be both a good or a bad thing, but for a game that features a 8 people co-op, I think the maps should be more dangerous (death traps) or the enemies should be more furious (faster movement speed and attack), or there is no point to play cooperatively at all when one or two people could take care of any situation easily.

Imprementation

The combat imprementation of NMRiH is quite bad in the current stage. The game has very weird hit detection and physics. Melee and shoving attack have very little knockback, fighting in melee is almost impossible because zombies will always hit you by the time you hit them. The hitbox of the zombies is incorrect. They feel like transparent when you move around them and it is difficult to headshot them with guns. The AI pathfinding is weak and you will not be hit if you hide behind long covers, also they cannot attack players on higher grounds. The difficulty of NMRiH does not seem to scale with the number of players too, so it gets extremely easy when you have more than 4 people playing.

Verdict

Although the game design needs a major revamp to make it actually "works" for a 8 people co-op, I found this game actually quite enjoyable if playing solo with a stealth approach. See the video on how I ninja'ed through the Cabin stage without killing a single zombie. That may well be the true survival fun of this game. We should give this game more time and look into how this game will eventually turn out.