Forum/Support Market
Busy icon
Minecraft is officially a full release from Notch. To celebrate this, Cl, Charles, Griztile and Longbow are doing a gameplay series.

Episode 1:
Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCA0D43E60FD0E25A
Replies

The best selling computer game, also the most successful indev game!
Congrats to Notch, the man behind minecraft

Seeing my Minecraft account is gathering dust (TF2iseewhatyoudidthar), guess it's time to play some MC

Is there a HSP Minecraft server?

Please say yes.

Please say yes.

Cl said he host the server on his computer, but it's not 24/7

Please say yes.

Cl said he host the server on his computer, but it's not 24/7

The server we were using was hosted by me for the sole purpose of videoshooting.

Rico once ran a minecraft server on hsp's server. However he put it down shortly after seeing how poorly the server program behaved.

From what I have experienced, Minecraft SMP servers are very laggy unless you enforce several rules:

1. NO LAVA BUCKETS (admins only)
2. NO WATER BUCKETS (admins only)

This is for anti-griefing purposes, but also as an anti-lag measure to prevent people from really messing up the processor with unnecessary lag.

3. NO FLINT/STEEL (admin only)
4. NO TNT

Fires and explosives also cause lag. Fire is a major culprit since it tends to spread around uncontrollably where there are many trees (or wooden houses, to the chagrin of many)

5. NO BOATS

Notch still hasn't fixed their really buggy behaviour, so I wouldn't use them on your server.

There are Bukkit which is a little bit faster server, but its surely not fast enough for servers more than 10 players since its just a hack over the original server software.

Bravo is numerous times faster when I tested it for creative mode, but its development was terminated now.

Other projects are still lagging a lot from the official release.

So there is no really usable server software for Minecraft release right now. The usable here means the server can serve up to around 20 players with reasonable computing resources.

Even for the $10/month hosting service packages advertised everywhere, I don't see their 256MB or 512MB memory is able to serve a reasonable amount of players, like 10, with the current generation offical server software.

I recently got a huge bunch of new games and I find myself playing Minecraft instead.

Since you seem to play quite often, why not join me on the Reddit PvE server?

Me and a bunch of mates have a settlement set up on the Reddit PVE server (minecraft multiplayer survival address: p.nerd.nu). Right now i'm working on the retaining wall for our area, and i'll be working on the MTR/roads after that!

Your company is greatly welcome at our town "Real Guild of Beggars" (Grid Coordinates -17XX,11XX).