Forum/Support Market
Busy icon
I am plagued by a stuttering problem in TF2. I am not talking about the large lag that loop the sound when you freeze (although I also have that), but a weird lag that makes your screen freeze for a brief moment every 2 seconds. To explain it, I would say it is like you watch a movie and have 5-10 frames cut out every 1000 frames. It does not make you completely unplayable, but still very annoying.

I have seacrhed in google and tried many settings with no avail. It makes me cannot play any hitscan class but demoman just because I don't have to be "THAT" accurate. It is starting to kill my gaming experience. I don't have any similar lag in other games.

Problem should be not related to:
1. Mouse polling rate
2. cl_interp
3. max fps
4. cl_updaterate
5. rate
6. graphical quality
7. cpu / memory usage

The lag has something to do with multicore rendering and the mat_queue_mode setting but turning them off only cut my fps by large but could not eliminate the problem completely.

Specs: Win7 64 bit / AMD Phenom II X4 / ATI RADEON HD4890
Replies

How about
Reinstall Window,
see if it happens again,
if yes, means hardware prob,
if no, cool.

I was doing some research lately and I stumbled across this post. So ehm, SPUF said it's because the game is clearing some memory on the RAM for TF2, so unless you get a larger RAM, there would be no other solution

I was doing some research lately and I stumbled across this post. So ehm, SPUF said it's because the game is clearing some memory on the RAM for TF2, so unless you get a larger RAM, there would be no other solution

Disregard I said no other solutions, I just got up from the bed. Just terminate any unnecessary process and program when you play to clear some space for TF2, it should be fine.

How about
Reinstall Window,
see if it happens again,
if yes, means hardware prob,
if no, cool.

I did.
It was okay for a few days...then start lagging again.

I usually restart my computer before starting TF2 and it got not better than I just turn on the game anytime.

I usually restart my computer before starting TF2 and it got not better than I just turn on the game anytime.

I don't know about how much process your computer will run when it first start. But anyway, is your hard disk running very fast when you are playing?

I don't know about how much process your computer will run when it first start. But anyway, is your hard disk running very fast when you are playing?

It seems to have some kind of small loading time to time. But the stutter happens so frequently it does not only lag when the HD loads. Rather I would say the lag is in pattern. When it starts it occurs every ~2 seconds, for a very brief stoppage each time.

Okay the HD thing is just a routine diagnosis. I have just experienced the same problem.It doesn't seem to be related to HD now. Give me some time and I might find a solution for you.

Seems players with win7 64 bits experience this problem a lot. And another routine checkup, I assume you have updated all drivers? This might be dumb but I still to know. And can I have the the full spec of your PC? I can't tell what's going wrong if I don't have the spec. Although you stated it's not related to memory, but it is most likely caused by the RAM.

You probably should have read this. But still, have a look. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1561809

If the same thing happens after even you reinstalled window. It is pretty much some hardware issue.
Make sure your drivers are all up to date (especially the display card) after you reinstalled window.
And if the problem still persist, then try lowering the settings in TF2 and see what will happen.
ding, forgot to login

If the same thing happens after even you reinstalled window. It is pretty much some hardware issue.
Make sure your drivers are all up to date (especially the display card) after you reinstalled window.
And if the problem still persist, then try lowering the settings in TF2 and see what will happen.
ding, forgot to login

I had discovered virus in my previous installation and it was using up my cpu causing lag.
But after I reinstalled again and made sure everything is updated/working, the lag is still here, just reduced by a bit..

try to rename hl2.exe into hl2.exe1 and let steam download a clean hl2.exe again, the old one maybe infected by virus.

Fixed after I made an investigation to his machine.

It's the CPU is overheated, and the current generation CPUs will slow down to reduce heat dissipation hence the constant slow down. Undervolting the CPU temporarily stopped this issue.

Oh maybe the fan is filled with dust? Buy yourself a can of compressed air and kick those dust's ass