Forum/Support Market
Busy icon
Thoughts? IMHO, no crits is much more fun, but supposedly random crits helps prevent stalemates. It's just really annoying when I get killed by critical spam when I turn a corner, or when the uber fades, everyone on the opposite team is nearly dead, apart from one stupid soldier who shoots a crocket before he dies.
Replies

Personally I like crits.

Crits is far from making any real difference in the whole game, the better side will still win.

Without crits player groups supported by external communications will be invulnerable, its unhealthy for pub server that most players are alone.

Random Crit is kind of frustrating when it comes at bad times. But it's all fair.

Turning off random crit will cause balancing problems as some weapons have "no random crits" as their drawbacks. Think about how OP eyelander/southern hospitailty etc. would be without random crit.

So I would say, keep it. Play match if it is too much of a problem for you.

I prefer crits on. It gives that added 'randomness' during matches to watch out for which keeps you alert and on your feet as that glowing ammo/projectile is going to your character's face or feet.

not that my word makes a difference, but i would prefer no random crits if i could choose. Its not skill or anything to kill people by it, and no matter how good you are, you cant avoid it. But thats just my opinionn :)

I prefer crits on. It may be frustrating for someone to be killed by players with lower skill level with random crits, but remember that it is more frustrating for new players to be killed by more experienced players over and over again.
Also, random crit chance depends on the damage dealt last 20 sec, which still favours the better players.
Random crit gives me hope:D

Could we get an option to vote for it in the beginning of a match?

May be worth a try. I doubt it will make a difference though.
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=746165

This plugin is 3 years old and the last post stated that it no longer work with newer versions of TF2 ...

If you want to play games of pure skill competition I would suggest you organize some scrims (or more casual than scrim) games with other interested players. HSP.HK provides 2 servers specifically for such purpose. Valve stated many times "nocrit" servers are not part of "normal" TF2 games, and nocrit servers will not be listed in quick-play capable server list, 50% of casual TF2 players will be isolated from such servers. Currently HSP.HK cannot afford to provide more servers for small player groups of specific interest, but we can promise our players if the proposed co-operation with GamersUnited can be actualized, we will provide servers like "nocrit", or modded games like jump, trade, saxton hale, etc.

This seems newer: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=163733

And what is this proposed co-operation with GamersUnited?

Regarding the 20 seconds crits thing, I think it's only a slight increase of up to 4.5% with ranged weapons (according to the wiki).

Personally, I dislike random crits mainly due to how random it is (well it's called random for a reason, you bloody idiot). How I think is like this: To a skilled player, killing someone with a random crit gives no satisfaction, just an 'oh, luck was on my side, I did not deserve that kill'; and to a non-skilled player, managing to kill someone due to luck would not make him try to improve his play.

Also because I'm tired of only getting crits when rocket jumping, damnit.

And to the argument that some weapons with 'no random crits' are overpowered in that setting: it'll be the same as any other melee, pretty much. And they have other downsides too, remember? Skullcutter will still be on par with Eyelander for continuous damage; an Engineer will probably still kill a spy with 1 more swing anyway; the Claidheamh Mòr... wait why am I even talking about that, literally no one uses that anyway.

On the flipside, that one day when Valve experimented with giving no random crit melees random crits and -25% damage... didn't really work out that well either. Critting with Eyelander all day e'ery day.