Forum/Support Market
Busy icon
Seriously, I can't believe why Namco Bandai and Capcom are being such big asses to PC market by continuing the draconian DRM policy and using GFWL all the time given the bad history of GFWL totally causing a game to malfunction. Even for an indie shooter like Exceed Capcom feels the need to waste money to put securom in it. (Origin is ok as long as you don't piss off people in the forum and not moving home)

After I finished Binary Domain on PC(Which I still have a lot to rant about, but I had a lot of fun with it), it is certain that a straight port doesn't require GFWL at all. Binary domain's straight ported Multiplayer which shows a total root in console style multiplayer lobby uses steam as the matchmaking system. SEGA gives the biggest slap to the Japanese gaming industry on PC affairs.

Oh yes Namco Bandai complained CD-projekt removed the DRM in Witcher 2 in Europe to cause the game to be pirated even more when the version still being circulated by pirates is the cracked version instead of the gog.com DRM-free version. When will Japanese company learn to please PC customers?
Replies

Because they think that their games do not sell well due to pirates.

There's also another reason. GFWL is rumored to be the cheapest way to port multiplayer games from console to PC. My point is, street fighter IV / Operation Raccoon City / Dark soul has a PS3 version which means the game's multiplayer is not built specificly for the xbox system. Binary Domain is having the same situation. However it used steamworks as its multiplayer matchmaking backbone instead of GFWL. That means the Namco / Capcom have chosen GFWL out of ignorance.

One thing which a lot of people failed to see is Capcom also did Japanese game indie translation for Western audience. I do think their DRM policies with these indies are to allow the developers to use whatever they were comfortable with.(Most of these indies are available on gamersgate in HK) eXceed series used Securom when Cherry Tree high Comedy Club is a DRM free game (http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CTHCC/cherry-tree-high-comedy-club).

Japanese game companies do not see PC as a market anyway. Most of them get rich because of console, and they will continue spend most of their effort on it. Even Koei which is famous of their historical game series on PC has pretty much changed to MMO already as they feel that releasing games on PC is not rewarding.

Software developers in Japan cannot catch up with the technological advancements in game development, they just began on mobile phone games, while even China had released mobile phone games a few years ago.

The software development standards are set up by Americans (and Indians). To be able to use them correctly the developers had to be close to native English speakers, and there are not a lot of such people in Japan.