Forum/Support Market
Busy icon
Namco Bandai stated they would be rushing Dark Souls PC version out on 18/8/2012 without any PC specific optimizations. (Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/07/dark-souls-will-not-be-optimised-for-pc-%E2%80%9Cstrictly-a-port-from-the-console-version%E2%80%9D/) Coupled with the use of GFWL, people who had previously signed the petitions for a PC port of Dark Souls were disheartened. Namco or FROM software had made no attempts to optimize the game for PC and the choice of network infrastructure

Considering FROM software lacked the PC game development experience, NAMCO bandai would give Dark Souls to a PC company specialized in porting games. This trick was done by Sega in Binary Domain and Sonic Generations and the result was satisfactory.

FROM software did try to meet their fans' wishes by porting the game to PC, but being lazy and slacking off about a game which people were looking forward to and using poor PR tricks to get away with it is not going to get the company anywhere in the future. I hope Namco Bandai and From Software would plan their approach to the Dark Souls PC version again and save the project from being tangled with all known technical shackles which would hinder sales.
Replies

thanks for the news CL!

without any PC specific optimizations :(

Is it any difference from not releasing in PC ... Theres enough bad games like that, totally unplayable with keyboard and mouse.

Sod, here I was hoping Dark Souls would be a good port.

From what I heard so far, they cant be bothered to fix those bugs and limits.
Wait for steam 1$ sale :D