Forum/Support Market
Busy icon
http://openra.res0l.net/

EA released Red Alert 1 and CnC for free in the 10th anniversary of CnC series. However the installer EA offered does not support 64bit windows.

A community project,OpenRA (link above) offers the multiplayer /skirmish component of Red Alert 1 and Command and Conquer for free. The game is playable on linux, mac and windows 64 bit. It comes with the sound effects and graphics file, however the original music soundtrack is not included and will require the use of the game's original CDs.
Replies

Played before but no music is a big minus.

This open source project is quite pointless since everyone play the original game without disc long time ago :(

But now? I don't see it is pointless.

Considering other projects like openttd / corsix-theme hospital employed the same policy of using original art from cds. Both featuring a new set of artwork (original) and music. I don't see it is pointless given old machines malfunction over time. Reducing the difficulties bridging the gap between old and new gamers who wanted to relive the game era is not pointless at all.

p.s. You are very pessimistic aren't you Rico?

I'd just like to add that RA of old did not support online play beyond modems. Attempting to do so was complicated and difficult considering OS complications.

At least this version makes online play more accessible as well as adding new features to multiplayer