Forum/Support Market
Busy icon
95% of the mempool is 10 Satoshi per byte or lower. Mixing inputs is highly recommended. Only than will I feel safe when withdrawing. I fear huge fees because your address has many tiny inputs. Please give more control to the end user. A max fee in Satoshi and fee per weight unit (segwit people rejoice). People who do business in bitcoin are smart enough to figure out what to pick. If you wish to keep stuff simplistic for new users, that is fine, but throw bitcoin pros a bone too.
Replies

I am not sure if the inputs are mixable at the current network performance. The fee and time it takes would be enormous.

Unless there is a time when every single tx in the mempool could be cleared, mixing input is simply impossible. It could not be done unless I pay 1000+ usd in fee.

My plan is to mix the input with about 20 sat/byte if the opportunity arises.

My plan is to mix the input with about 20 sat/byte if the opportunity arises.

20 sat/byte clears very quickly each night at the moment. I've been checking this for the last 5 days. The network is pretty busy at the moment, but even now 10 sat/byte would complete quick. I'd feel confident going as low at 5 sat/byte for a large transaction and even lower for a small transaction.

I'm not convinced that mixing is the right thing to do though. As I understand it, "Mixing" or "Tumbling" is used for anonymity. Before attempting this be sure that you're not just going to get lots of little transactions back.

The other problem I see is that whatever method you choose to combine your inputs, the total transaction bytes will be larger in the long run, than just making the payments from the fragmented wallet. So unless you're careful, you might end up just paying the fees, plus more, in advance.

I think the smart thing to do, would be to take the smallest inputs, which are definitely below the threshold which you would send in a single transaction and combine those by paying into your own wallet. The key to being able to do this is to use a wallet client which allows you to choose the inputs yourself (If I understand correctly, GreenAddress offer multiple wallet clients, but I don't know the functionality of any of them). This could be done part by part, at a low fee, but one which you know will complete within a reasonable time frame, (perhaps a day or two), so that only a fraction of the wallet is out of action at any one time.

NB: I haven't tried this. I'm just offering what I think is the best theory.

Not anymore now. There are over 100K tx and mostly are at 100 sat/byte+

About mixing input, nowadays most wallets (greenaddress includes) knows how to optimally assigns input themselves. So the only thing I have to do is to send a part of the balance to a Bitcoin exchange (I have been using Bitfinex and OKex) and send them back. Bitcoin exchanges has much more flexible wallet which could send out almost any amount in one input.