Forum/Support Market
Busy icon
Hello,
I like the idea of dispencer.tf of making trade available when seller is offline. But there is one slight problem with heads up display this website shows on trades. They display price of each item selling with reference to backpack.tf price-list (or any other spreadsheet doesn't matter which). This is bad from sellers point of view. None of business runs without profit. We sell because we want profit. There is simple website tf2outpost.com which is enormously used for trading. Showing price on items is very simple update they also might have done but they did not do this. because this beats the purpose of trading. If buyer know what item price is and what seller is asking they simply will keep on debating on price set.

If you want to make your website popular you have to think about removing price tags from items because this website is seller based website and if there is no profit or very less profit no seller will open shop/dispenser here.

BUYER ALWAYS HAVE CHOICE OF GOING TO SPREADSHEET AND CHECK PRICES BEFORE COMING TO ANY SELLER. SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO EDUCATE THEM HONESTLY.
Replies

There is simple website tf2outpost.com which is enormously used for trading. Showing price on items is very simple update they also might have done but they did not do this. because this beats the purpose of trading. If buyer know what item price is and what seller is asking they simply will keep on debating on price set.

Personally, I ignore the prices, because I know they're not always accurate. But they influence many people. It could protect them from sharks, which is good, but...

In fact, TF2Outpost did try showing prices (from backpack.tf) on items a few months ago. It was so unpopular with regular traders, including many of TF2OP's own admins, that they removed it within 24 hours.

On TF2OP, showing prices was a problem because you already have to constantly deal with hassle from idiots telling you "OMG! the price for that hat is 4 ref, not 5 ref. you must be a scammer" (my answer is usually something like "OK, try buying it for 4 ref, see how long it takes you, and come back when you get sick of looking").

It's less of a hassle on Dispenser.tf, because you never have to deal with them directly. They're welcome to talk to the bot if they have a complaint ;*)

Showing prices is always going to be a popular feature to new and inexperienced traders, because they don't understand that the prices are not always accurate (in fact, I make the most profit when they are not accurate). And they don't understand that the entire trading economy that we have now, including sites like Dispenser.tf and TF2Outpost, would not even exist if everything had a fixed price, because there would be no possibility of making a profit. It's impossible to argue with people who don't even understand basic economics, though :)

If you think that the backpack.tf reference would affect your profit, you do not understand how this market works.

First of all, you have to understand that we do not design the website only from the seller's point of view, we think about both buyers and sellers or it would not have worked fundamentally. If there is not a very basic guideline and a little bit of control over the price in general, this website will not work out at all because everyone will be overpricing their items and just wait for ignorant people to bite. Yes, you are right that many people trade for profit. But you also cannot ignore the fact that the market still works because there are still people willing to sacrifice their own profit, or at the very least buy items at a fair price. Think about a market where everyone wants to buy low and sell high and it will become stagnant. Noone is going to profit at the end and no legit buyers would visit this place because everything is overpriced.

You cannot only look at one side of things. Just because a large part of TF2OP trading is about lowballing, tricks, deception and spreading false information does not mean that is how trading works. You do not tell me TF2OP has made a good decision about not using backpack.tf price so that people can continue to lowball and shark. We do not need people who come up with a stupid theme over every single level or craft number and their dumb theory about why their uncraftable vitasaw is worth a HOUWAR. We run on a different logic. It is the reason why backpack.tf price can benefit dispenser.tf but not TF2OP.

Overpriced items are being hard to sell is not because the price backpack.tf has given them. It is caused by competition. Every item you put up here has to compete with every other sellers of the same items (not only people on this site but from other places as well). Backpack.tf merely states the price that what most people are willing to pay for an item. People follow it because they do not want to wait forever and get lucky. You can always choose not to follow it, but in that case, you will have more luck on trade servers or even random adding people on steam so that there is a higher chance of exploiting other's ignorance or lack or information.

It is counterproductive to say that backpack.tf price is going to affect how you profit because It is just not how things work. A good trader does not have to exploit on other's ignorance nor negotiate a scrap out of everything for profit. They profit by making correct decision and investment and that does not require any bit of exploit. A good example of investment was 2011 strange festive and Cloudy Moon unusual. Back on the topic, this site more or less is for people who are willing to sell things at a fair price. You cannot blame backpack.tf because you cannot sell your sharp dresser at 1 key. In fact, their existence do not change the fact that you hardly could do that because there are always people willing to sell for less. I am sure people who have been selling things at average or lower price would be very happy about backpack.tf integration because their items are going to sell much more quickly as people do not have to check backpack.tf before they know what constitutes a good price.

And as a matter of fact, we do not add the backpack.tf price out of our own interest. We are not "officially" following it by any means. We add that simply to provide an extra piece of information that many people have been asking for. It is to improve the overall convenience for the users. We have been collecting price data based on the trades here and one day when we are sure there are no bugs we will hopefully provide backpack.tf with extra analytic data.

I agree that it's USUALLY better for inexperienced users to have some kind of price guide. I only say it's 'usually' better, because sometimes it is very dangerous for them, if they don't understand how to use it safely.

For example, during the past 24 hours, hundreds of inexperienced users are getting sharked out of discontinued hats like the Fancy Fedora, Soldier's Stash, Demoman Fro, Pyro Beanie, etc, because they are trusting the price guides to show them the correct price, instead of checking properly. But actually the market price for these hats is 2x-4x the price on the price guides. (I'm not saying that price makes any sense, but it is what people are paying)

A summary:

1 Inexperienced traders love price guides. The majority of users are inexperienced traders. So, if Dispenser.tf shows prices, then it will be popular with the majority of users. Dispenser.tf needs to be popular, because even a good trading site is not useful if it does not have many users (e.g. bazaar.tf).

2 Price guides USUALLY protect people from being sharked, and save them time researching prices, which is GOOD.

3 The problem with price guides, is that inexperienced traders rely on them too much. They think it is a law, not only a guide. Mostly they don't do ANY research. They don't understand that market forces set the price, and the price guide reports it after a few days. The result is those users might be 'cheated' out of profit when prices change suddenly. It also means that price guides actually start to influence prices, instead of just reporting them, which is BAD

If you think that the backpack.tf reference would affect your profit, you do not understand how this market works.

First of all, you have to understand that we do not design the website only from the seller's point of view, we think about both buyers and sellers or it would not have worked fundamentally. If there is not a very basic guideline and a little bit of control over the price in general, this website will not work out at all because everyone will be overpricing their items and just wait for ignorant people to bite. Yes, you are right that many people trade for profit. But you also cannot ignore the fact that the market still works because there are still people willing to sacrifice their own profit, or at the very least buy items at a fair price. Think about a market where everyone wants to buy low and sell high and it will become stagnant. Noone is going to profit at the end and no legit buyers would visit this place because everything is overpriced.

You cannot only look at one side of things. Just because a large part of TF2OP trading is about lowballing, tricks, deception and spreading false information does not mean that is how trading works. You do not tell me TF2OP has made a good decision about not using backpack.tf price so that people can continue to lowball and shark. We do not need people who come up with a stupid theme over every single level or craft number and their dumb theory about why their uncraftable vitasaw is worth a HOUWAR. We run on a different logic. It is the reason why backpack.tf price can benefit dispenser.tf but not TF2OP.

Overpriced items are being hard to sell is not because the price backpack.tf has given them. It is caused by competition. Every item you put up here has to compete with every other sellers of the same items (not only people on this site but from other places as well). Backpack.tf merely states the price that what most people are willing to pay for an item. People follow it because they do not want to wait forever and get lucky. You can always choose not to follow it, but in that case, you will have more luck on trade servers or even random adding people on steam so that there is a higher chance of exploiting other's ignorance or lack or information.

It is counterproductive to say that backpack.tf price is going to affect how you profit because It is just not how things work. A good trader does not have to exploit on other's ignorance nor negotiate a scrap out of everything for profit. They profit by making correct decision and investment and that does not require any bit of exploit. A good example of investment was 2011 strange festive and Cloudy Moon unusual. Back on the topic, this site more or less is for people who are willing to sell things at a fair price. You cannot blame backpack.tf because you cannot sell your sharp dresser at 1 key. In fact, their existence do not change the fact that you hardly could do that because there are always people willing to sell for less. I am sure people who have been selling things at average or lower price would be very happy about backpack.tf integration because their items are going to sell much more quickly as people do not have to check backpack.tf before they know what constitutes a good price.

And as a matter of fact, we do not add the backpack.tf price out of our own interest. We are not "officially" following it by any means. We add that simply to provide an extra piece of information that many people have been asking for. It is to improve the overall convenience for the users. We have been collecting price data based on the trades here and one day when we are sure there are no bugs we will hopefully provide backpack.tf with extra analytic data.

I do not understand why you say this website is not build primary for seller point of view. Its only feature is 'seller can sale his items even when he himself offline on his own profile. This websites bots do the job for him'. So basically if there are no sellers the bots have no items to sell and there wont be meaning left to 'dispenser' concept. So your major primary customer/user is seller and not buyer.

Regarding the backpack.tf prices, yes they help new buyer. But not lot people know these are community made prices. A person who come for buying if doesn't know prices its very obvious he doesn't know whats 'community based prices' and stuff. But that's not point., the point is he comes for buying with positive mind>>looks at the price differences>>gets confused>>and either keep searching or waiting. This is inconvenient because when first time he came he was sure to get item for the price he saw, could afford and was ready to pay. The price-list, this and that keeps him away from his goal and confuses him more. Also seller cant keep explaining everyone whats what and why the items cost this much. Or he cant explain why you should less believe community based prices. (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/meetthestats/discussions/0/846938350621228263/)

About the sharp dresser thing..well yes i am trying to get profit there with large margins..but there is reason for this. I started selling them with 2 refs and sold almost like 40 (http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/7542156). Then i saw some posts where other users selling it for key and they sold successfully too. Then question is, why should i trade for 100 times to get same profit when i can do it in 20 or 50? Others are doing it. Why should i don't? And trust me even when i raised it to key ppl still buy it (http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/7725667). Not necessary who knows prices or not but those who WANT IT. Less hassle for me and i am ok with some low demands.

Overall,
I do not think of anything such as lowball, shark, overpriced for tf2outpost. The website is simply perfect from both buyer and seller point of view. I simply understand one thing. if something is giving you profit, its working otherwise its not. Even though you say your website is not for seller you provide one and only feature different from others which is designed for selling. So its very necessary you think of them before anyone else. There were other website and trading posts which did not work (bazaar.tf, marketplace.tf) because one thing they have in common. And its mixing of every feature in one, seems to not produce anything for majority of people. Separation is important and tf2outpost have done it successfully. Eventhough there are lowballs, deception, tricks, they do sell. Its part of business and business is never fair!

I would like to see how successful this website becomes. Would people prefer offline trading over profit or not. Or it ends up with thousands of posts (engaging autobot inventories) competing each other negotiating prices by half scrap or even less. And the confused user is wandering around which one to choose. Because they have to match displayed prices for a successful sale right? :)

I agree that it's USUALLY better for inexperienced users to have some kind of price guide. I only say it's 'usually' better, because sometimes it is very dangerous for them, if they don't understand how to use it safely.

For example, during the past 24 hours, hundreds of inexperienced users are getting sharked out of discontinued hats like the Fancy Fedora, Soldier's Stash, Demoman Fro, Pyro Beanie, etc, because they are trusting the price guides to show them the correct price, instead of checking properly. But actually the market price for these hats is 2x-4x the price on the price guides. (I'm not saying that price makes any sense, but it is what people are paying)

A summary:

1 Inexperienced traders love price guides. The majority of users are inexperienced traders. So, if Dispenser.tf shows prices, then it will be popular with the majority of users. Dispenser.tf needs to be popular, because even a good trading site is not useful if it does not have many users (e.g. bazaar.tf).

2 Price guides USUALLY protect people from being sharked, and save them time researching prices, which is GOOD.

3 The problem with price guides, is that inexperienced traders rely on them too much. They think it is a law, not only a guide. Mostly they don't do ANY research. They don't understand that market forces set the price, and the price guide reports it after a few days. The result is those users might be 'cheated' out of profit when prices change suddenly. It also means that price guides actually start to influence prices, instead of just reporting them, which is BAD

The same thing would have still happened even if there is no backpack.tf. Some people sold those hat cheap because they did not know the hats have been discontinued, not really because backpack.tf did not update fast enough. I do totally agree with your #3, and it has been discussed for a lot of times in many occasions. People blame backpack.tf for 'lowballing' their items, or when they change the price of an item they own, but it is merely trying to tell them what is happening on the market right now, not trying to change the outcome of things. People being cheated is not the fault of backpack.tf and they would have been cheated anyway even without it. backpack.tf is just telling them the bad news.

Of course, price guide is never perfect. but instead of ditching price guide altogether, I am more inclined to try helping them to improve.

I do not understand why you say this website is not build primary for seller point of view. Its only feature is 'seller can sale his items even when he himself offline on his own profile. This websites bots do the job for him'. So basically if there are no sellers the bots have no items to sell and there wont be meaning left to 'dispenser' concept. So your major primary customer/user is seller and not buyer.

No, it is not like this at all. What is the use of a trade site if every single person is there for profit? You have to realize that if noone sells anything at a fairly low price, the market would have already pretty much dead because the market is going to be stagnant. We cannot build up a system that emphasize on individual profit. Things would become even worse if we do that. Instead of buying everything overpriced, people would just go to other trade sites or choose not to trade if price is totally out of control. TF2 trading has become very diversed so if you think that nowadays you can sell at whatever price you want as long as you rule out the competition and price guides, you are wrong.

Regarding the backpack.tf prices, yes they help new buyer. But not lot people know these are community made prices. A person who come for buying if doesn't know prices its very obvious he doesn't know whats 'community based prices' and stuff. But that's not point., the point is he comes for buying with positive mind>>looks at the price differences>>gets confused>>and either keep searching or waiting. This is inconvenient because when first time he came he was sure to get item for the price he saw, could afford and was ready to pay. The price-list, this and that keeps him away from his goal and confuses him more. Also seller cant keep explaining everyone whats what and why the items cost this much. Or he cant explain why you should less believe community based prices. (http://steamcommunity.com/groups/meetthestats/discussions/0/846938350621228263/)

About the sharp dresser thing..well yes i am trying to get profit there with large margins..but there is reason for this. I started selling them with 2 refs and sold almost like 40 (http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/7542156). Then i saw some posts where other users selling it for key and they sold successfully too. Then question is, why should i trade for 100 times to get same profit when i can do it in 20 or 50? Others are doing it. Why should i don't? And trust me even when i raised it to key ppl still buy it (http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/7725667). Not necessary who knows prices or not but those who WANT IT. Less hassle for me and i am ok with some low demands.

Overall,
I do not think of anything such as lowball, shark, overpriced for tf2outpost. The website is simply perfect from both buyer and seller point of view. I simply understand one thing. if something is giving you profit, its working otherwise its not. Even though you say your website is not for seller you provide one and only feature different from others which is designed for selling. So its very necessary you think of them before anyone else. There were other website and trading posts which did not work (bazaar.tf, marketplace.tf) because one thing they have in common. And its mixing of every feature in one, seems to not produce anything for majority of people. Separation is important and tf2outpost have done it successfully. Eventhough there are lowballs, deception, tricks, they do sell. Its part of business and business is never fair!

I would like to see how successful this website becomes. Would people prefer offline trading over profit or not. Or it ends up with thousands of posts (engaging autobot inventories) competing each other negotiating prices by half scrap or even less. And the confused user is wandering around which one to choose. Because they have to match displayed prices for a successful sale right? :)

Price guide does not confuse people. In fact it helps people in making decisions. You only think that it is confusing people because you are selling higher than that price. For people who sell at or lower than backpack.tf price, the integration of the price actually makes their items go much faster.

And who says that backpack.tf price would rule out profit? I have seen people selling for lower than backpack.tf price here for a number of times. I have successfully grabbed their items and resold them for profit too. So instead of buying fair and sell them high, you have to buy them low and sell them fair.

For the remaining I will answer as a whole. If you have read carefully, what I have said was 'think from both sellers and buyers' point of view'. That being said, easy access to reference price is one of the feature buyers would like. Also, from the 'administrative point of view', we have to implement it because that is what users have been requesting and it will do no harm to most people. There is just no reason for us to say no. Shall I say we are not giving anyone easy access to bp.tf price so that some people could get lucky with their overpriced items? Instead of pleasing the profiteers, I would rather build up a trade site that people CANNOT overprice their items and a place that people can always find something at a fair price and would like to come back again. There are many people willing to sell items at bp.tf price, so I am not worry that 'sellers would be all gone and noone will be selling things.' In fact I want all those selling common crates at 1 ref be gone, don't you too?

As an honest trader I have no issues with the price tags on the items. Yeah, backpack.tf's pricing system isn't perfect (and I've seen it exploited at times too for unusual hat prices) but I'd rather there be some guideline right in front of the buyer than none at all. Personally I like the fact that I don't have to switch tabs constantly to check if I'm getting a good deal or not. At the end of the day they're only guidelines, unless there's a major oversight over at backpack.tf or the seller is making unreasonable prices no-one misses out. I do wish they'd stop changing the price of the Sharp Dresser every few days though, i've seen so many price changes on that one item it's almost unbelievable.

I personally like these prices - as a seller as well as a buyer.
I know how I can use these prices and if there wouldn't be any prices listed I'd try to get DoctorMcKay's backpack.tf extension working with this or wait until he did that.
It's a chrome extension which already adds prices to tf2op items.
A builtin feature is usually better than one by extensions.
This extension helps me to see when something is way overpriced so I can just ignore the trade - if I see a price matching the price fetched from bptf I check the price manually before I trade.

People tend to blame everything on backpack.tf when their items cannot sell too well. Except for their unusual price is being really off I found their price quite close to the real situation actually. People have to accept the fact that item prices DO change.

A summary: