Forum/Support Market
Busy icon

Table of Contents

Cheating is a persisting problem for any online FPS game community and its server administrators. Fortunately, cheating in Team Fortress 2 is yet a very serious problem. At the same time, improved cheat detection and server-side demo has aided a lot in removing cheaters from our servers. A well-recorded demo has been particularly useful for judging a player. This article will briefly talk about what you should look for in a demo and how to report a cheater.

Cheating Detection

I try to look for two things in the demo: The crosshair movement speed, whether it is constant or always snapping; and the player’s vulnerability of spies. The latter is especially essential in detecting auto-aim, in which cheaters often suddenly turn around corners shooting at disguised or cloaking spies and almost never killed by spy backstabs.

Cheating Demos

Here are two server-recorded demos in which we confirmed player cheating. (Download link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66359435/django_dropbox_backend/Leet455/cheating1.dem , http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66359435/django_dropbox_backend/Leet455/cheating2.dem) Look for ‘SickShotz’ and ‘S.J’ respectively in the two demos.

The 'official' cheating intro video also provide insight on cheating detection.

Player Report

As a player, there is also a lot you can do to help with the administration. Before reporting someone of cheating, you should first spectate that player and look for the ‘two things’ I mentioned. Play spy at the opposite team to find out more evidence if needed. Alternatively, you should also try to play alongside that player to see how good he or she really is. Sometimes, you may have a different opinion if you try to interact with that player. If you could confirm a player is cheating, simply type ‘menu’ in game, then choose ‘Player Report’ and fill in the information to record a server-side demo. We will then be notified of the event and will have a look at the demo as soon as possible.
Replies

i whant

Holle

gaojiahui