Forum/Support Market
Busy icon
I'm actually pretty stoked that dispenser.tf will be accepting bitcoin as payment. Can't wait. This sets you guys apart from the other trading sites a bit more. Also, I've noticed a big influx of new users lately (even when browsing outpost, i notice many people linking to dispenser bots now) so hope that helps you guys make a bigger and better site. thanks for everything so far.
Replies

Adopting Bitcoin is an important step for dispenser.tf, I think. Bitcoin is very useful for trading between different game economies. Unlike keys and refined, you can use bitcoins to buy real stuff (e.g. overstock.com, bitcoinstore.com, gyft.com, coinmap.org, and so on). It's also much cheaper and easier to automate than Paypal and credit cards, because chargebacks aren't possible, and fees are tiny.

However, keeping secure when using Bitcoin is a big challenge, because it's an attractive target for hacking and for dumping stolen money. For example, dispenser.tf cannot allow a situation where someone buys 500 keys with a stolen credit card, and then sells them on dispenser.tf for bitcoin. I assume they're aware of this, and the ways you can prevent it (contact me if you want to know).

Just a warning: Anyone who uses Bitcoin needs to be aware of two big issues: security and volatility. If either of those is a problem, then Bitcoin is probably not for you, at the moment.

Rez: The amount of users have been increasing exponentially. We are seeing overload problem we have never seen before and we are going to be out of VIP bots very soon if this goes on. :) Still much work to do from here.

Potato: Totally agree about security. That is why we are still only 'tesing the wallet' and not actually enabling Bitcoin trade. Not only we have to make sure everything is secure, we also have to iron out all the basic trading errors that may lead to any wallet balance errors.

However, keeping secure when using Bitcoin is a big challenge, because it's an attractive target for hacking and for dumping stolen money. For example, dispenser.tf cannot allow a situation where someone buys 500 keys with a stolen credit card, and then sells them on dispenser.tf for bitcoin. I assume they're aware of this, and the ways you can prevent it (contact me if you want to know).

Actually, I would like to know your thought on this. Could that be posted here or you must tell me privately?

Rez: The amount of users have been increasing exponentially. We are seeing overload problem we have never seen before and we are going to be out of VIP bots very soon if this goes on. :) Still much work to do from here.

Potato: Totally agree about security. That is why we are still only 'tesing the wallet' and not actually enabling Bitcoin trade. Not only we have to make sure everything is secure, we also have to iron out all the basic trading errors that may lead to any wallet balance errors.

Actually, I would like to know your thought on this. Could that be posted here or you must tell me privately?

I'll message you thru Steam chat

I too am interested in what method you think will protect a third party vendor from selling stolen first party goods in an user-with-user trading system.

I too am interested in what method you think will protect a third party vendor from selling stolen first party goods in an user-with-user trading system.

It's a method for detecting items that may have been carded. It's not useful for individual traders ATM, because it requires tools that aren't publicly available and are not user-friendly (e.g. you have to code them yourself, really), and you need some experience to understand what those tools are telling you and make a decision based on that.

This is information which is only currently useful for two groups: (1) people running trading sites like dispenser.tf, and (2) people who want to do something bad. So, sorry, but I prefer not to discuss it in public, because I think that would only give bad people some new ideas on how to avoid getting caught (not trying to imply you're a bad person, I'm sure you're not :)

It's nothing very exciting, anyway, just a way of analyzing some ordinary data that Steam makes available via well-known APIs, to extract a bit more information. It used to be quite effective for detecting carded items, but TBH, I don't even know how useful it is these days, because I rarely do those kind of trades now, and Valve seems to be much better at preventing carding than it used to be.

It's a method for detecting items that may have been carded. It's not useful for individual traders ATM, because it requires tools that aren't publicly available and are not user-friendly (e.g. you have to code them yourself, really), and you need some experience to understand what those tools are telling you and make a decision based on that.

This is information which is only currently useful for two groups: (1) people running trading sites like dispenser.tf, and (2) people who want to do something bad. So, sorry, but I prefer not to discuss it in public, because I think that would only give bad people some new ideas on how to avoid getting caught (not trying to imply you're a bad person, I'm sure you're not :)

It's nothing very exciting, anyway, just a way of analyzing some ordinary data that Steam makes available via well-known APIs, to extract a bit more information. It used to be quite effective for detecting carded items, but TBH, I don't even know how useful it is these days, because I rarely do those kind of trades now, and Valve seems to be much better at preventing carding than it used to be.

What you're describing sounds insanely inaccurate, whatever it is. It sounds like false positives would be off the chart. Not exactly sure what data Valve return with, but, based on your description, I'm assuming it's something silly like "Oh, just check the EPOC it was initialized, if it's been there longer than 45 days it's probably not a scam" or something. Obviously I can't give an actual opinion of it without knowing, but, like I said, it does sound insanely inaccurate and sketchy.